There are many resources and funding opportunities available to support Métis students in Alberta.
Click through the menus below to learn more or download a PDF of Métis Funding Opportunities.
Métis Scholarships, Awards, and Bursaries
- 4 scholarship programs offering $500 to $1000
- Deadline: October 31 annually
- Higher Learning Completion Program: Post-secondary and living expense funding for Métis students in the final two terms of studies.
- Métis Scholar Awards: financial assistance in years one to three of studies.
- Contact: 1-888-48-MÉTIS (1-888-486-3847)
- The Settlement Education department is responsible for Strategic Training Initiatives (STIs). These provide training and education to Métis Settlement Members residing on Settlements.
- Métis Settlements STI funding coordinators
- Buffalo Lake 780.689.2170
- East Prairie 780.523.2594
- Elizabeth 780.594.5026
- Fishing Lake 780.943.2202
- Gift Lake 780.767.3794
- Kikino 780.623.7868
- Paddle Prairie 780.981.2227
- Peavine 780.523.2551
- $1000 awards for six (6) first year Métis students, one from each Métis region.
- Deadline: Applications accepted January 1 through April 30 annually.
- First Nation, Métis, and Inuit Bursary: Three awards of $3,000, applied directly to tuition. There are also many other scholarships and bursaries to apply to.
- Deadline: July 31 annually
- $2,000 per term, maximum $4,000 annually. For Indigenous peoples living in Alberta (First Nations, Métis, Inuit) to pursue and complete post-secondary studies.
- To encourage Indigenous peoples living in Alberta (First Nations, Métis and Inuit) to pursue and complete postsecondary studies in certificate, diploma, applied degree and bachelor’s degree programs.
- Students must be enrolled in a master’s or doctoral degree program at one of the following post-secondary schools:
- Use the Aboriginal Bursaries Search Tool to search more than 688 bursaries, scholarships and incentives across Canada.
- Government website listing various bursaries and scholarships for students.
Student Loans and Grants
- Belcourt Brosseau house is a six-bedroom co-ed home that is located within a short walk from the UAlberta campus with preference given to mature single Aboriginal students.
- Financial support for rent ($200/month) and security deposit ($850 max). Maximum is $2,400 annually.
- Contact: 780-452-6440