Don and Norine Lowry Awards for Women of Excellence
Don Lowry was the president and CEO of EPCOR from January 1998 to his retirement on March 6th of 2013. In recognition of his service, EPCOR’s Board of Directors established a fund with the support of other community members. Don and Norine matched EPCOR’s contribution to the Don and Norine Lowry Awards Fund. The award is to honour Don and his achievements for the company and community. More importantly, it provides assistance to women of all ages in pursuit of their goals.
Each year typically 5 students receive awards ranging from $1,000 to $5,000. In 2021 we received 29 eligible applications. The size and number of awards may vary.
Critical Dates for the application
- Application Opens: March 31
- Application Deadline: May 31 at 11:59 PM.
- Award decisions released: approximately late July.
Don and Norine Lowry Awards Criteria
- You are a woman
- You are a resident of the City of Edmonton. Surrounding municipalities are not eligible.
- You are a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident.
- You are pursuing a program of study in one of the following fields: Engineering, Medicine, Dentistry , Nursing, water, power, energy, finance, accounting, and safety.
Don and Norine Lowry Awards Priorities
- Commitment to an ongoing career in your field of study in Edmonton
- Community involvement, leadership, or volunteerism
- Participation in sports and recreation (running, swimming, biking, dancing, etc.)
- Education goals related to establishing your excellence as a leader in your chosen field
- Financial Need
What schools are eligible?
Awards can be used at any public university, college, or technical institute operating in Edmonton. Awards may also be used for exchange trips operated through an Edmonton school. You will need to demonstrate that you are returning to Edmonton.
What programs are eligible?
- Medicine, Dentistry, and Nursing includes fields such as doctors, pharmacists, lab technicians, and psychiatry. Psychology is not eligible.
- All Engineering is eligible, with a focus on water and power.
- Accounting (CPA), finance, and workplace safety accreditations.
- Two Reference Letters: Letters must recommend the student and the course of study. Each letter must be from a third-party individual (e.g. employer, volunteer contact, teacher), and should clearly address how the applicant meets the criteria and priorities described above. Reference letters should be signed, dated (current), and should provide contact information for the writer.
- Employment & Education Summary: A resume, CV or related document that summarizes the applicant’s employment and educational history.
- Statement of marks for most recent studies: Official transcripts are not required. A photocopy or print out from a school website is acceptable. Provide marks as of the time of application; do not submit updates unless requested.
The Awards Panel will review applications and select award recipients by the end of July. Candidates will be advised of the status of their application in early August. Edmonton Community Foundation will notify accepting post-secondary institutions of any scholarship recipients once all award conditions have been fulfilled.
Awards will be paid directly to the institution of study, to be applied to tuition.Apply for a Don and Norine Lowry Award
Need help with your application?
We want to make sure that you have the best chance to be successful with your application. Contact Anna Opryshko (Student Awards Associate) for support with your application and answers to your questions.
Phone: 780-426-0015 ext. 107