Nancy Fairley’s gifts as a teacher and mentor instilled in her students a deeper understanding of finely crafted literature. Her greatest achievement was to teach English in a special way that expanded the horizons for a diverse group of students with a wide range of intellectual abilities, interests and backgrounds. She inspired her students and taught them how to think. She also contributed to the community in a wide variety of ways, including serving on the boards of the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra and the Alberta Baroque Music Society.
The Nancy Fairley Scholarship Fund was established in memory of Nancy Fairley through generous donations from family and friends. Donors continue to contribute to the fund to support students who demonstrate passion for academic excellence and community involvement.
The award is for $3,000.
Critical Dates for the application
- Application Opens: March 31
- Application Deadline: June 30 at 11:59 PM.
- Award decisions released: approximately early August.
What are the eligibility requirements?
In order to meet the criteria for an award, nominees must:
- Be completing their final year of a full International Baccalaureate program at an Edmonton Public or Edmonton Catholic School.
- Have achieved a high academic standing overall, particularly in IB English 30.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities through contributions to school and/or community.
- Be pursuing their studies at a qualified university or college in Alberta; priority will be given to those planning to attend a qualified university in Alberta.
- Financial need may also be considered.
What is the nomination process:
Students must be nominated by their IB English 30 teacher. Teachers may nominate multiple students.
With the completed nomination form, nominators must provide:
- A letter from the nominator describing how this student, above all others, best meets the criteria of the Nancy Fairley Scholarships.
- A personal letter from the student outlining how they meet the criteria of the Nancy Fairley Scholarships and describing how a scholarship would make a difference to the student’s pursuit of post-secondary education.
Application review process
Nominees will be advised of the status of their application by email in early August of each year. Edmonton Community Foundation will notify accepting post-secondary institutions of any Nancy Fairley Scholarship recipients once all award conditions have been fulfilled. Awards will be forwarded directly to recipients’ accepting post-secondary institution in the fall to offset tuition fees.Apply for the Nancy Fairley Scholarship
Need help with your application?
We want to make sure that you have the best chance to be successful with your application. Contact Anna Opryshko (Student Awards Associate) for support with your application and answers to your questions.
Phone: 780-426-0015 ext. 107