Ranald and Vera Shean were highly respected musicians and teachers in Edmonton. They were determined that the young people they taught should not miss out on opportunities to expand their musical abilities and would often help students with travel or tuition. Ranald passed away in 1997; Vera in 2005. Both Ranald and Vera are members of the City’s Cultural Hall of Fame.
The Ranald and Vera Shean Memorial Scholarship Fund assists students who demonstrate commitment and exceptional talent in studies of violin or piano. The primary criterion is quality of performance.
The Shean’s legacy also continues to support music education and excellence through The Shean Strings & Piano Competition and the Edmonton Kiwanis Music Festival.
Each year typically 10 students receive awards ranging from $2,000 to $8,000. In 2021 we received 12 eligible applications. The size and number of awards may vary.
Critical Dates for the application
- Application opens: January 1
- Application Deadline: March 31 at 11:59 PM.
- Award decisions released: approximately early June.
Required Documents to apply
In addition to the completed application form, applicants must provide:
- A high quality recording of maximum 20 minutes duration with repertoire from three distinct periods (more details are available in the application). Recordings must not be electronically altered and the date and place of recording must be provided for each selection.
- Canadian citizenship or permanent residency
- Be a resident of the Greater Edmonton area or Northern Alberta (including Red Deer and areas north) prior to applying and consider this their permanent residence and have family who continue to live here
- Be pursuing advanced classical music study of violin or piano at a recognized post-secondary institution or with a recognized private music teacher
- Be at least 12 years of age;
What can the award cover?
Awards are intended to assist recipients with cost such as tuition, fees, books and supplies, living expenses, travel for auditions and special opportunities for development of musical talent.Apply for a Ranald & Vera Shean Memorial Scholarship
Need help with your application?
We want to make sure that you have the best chance to be successful with your application. Contact Anna Opryshko (Student Awards Associate) for support with your application and answers to your questions.
Phone: 780-426-0015 ext. 107